Fort Crook was established in 1888 and was named after General George Crook (1828-1890), Civil War general and commander of the Department of the Platte at Fort Omaha. Most of Fort Crook's buildings were constructed between 1891 and 1896. Fort Crook is now a part of Offutt Air Force Base, Bellevue, Nebraska. Source: Historic Places: The National Register for Nebraska. Lincoln: NEBRASKAland Magazine, c1989, p. 125.