This 6-1/2" x 4" black and white plate centers on the castle-like front entrance of the state penitentiary. The limestone entrance is flanked by high, crenellated walls. A smokestack stands inside the wall at the right. Post and single-rail fences line the front drive.
Excerpted from: "Twenty-third Biennial Report of the Warden of the State Penitentiary, Lincoln, Nebraska" in First Biennial Report of the Board of Commissioners of State Institutions to the Governor and Legislature of the State of Nebraska for the Biennium Ending November 30, 1914 (Lincoln: Nebraska Board of Commissioners of State Institutions, 1914), plate between pp. 400-401
Until the State Reformatory for Women opened in York in May 1920, women as well as men were housed at the penitentiary. On December 1, 1912, penitentiary held 374 male and 7 female inmates. As of November 30, 1914, there were 328 male and 4 female inmates. Further statistics and information can be found in the report.